Tuesday, June 22, 2010

One Week(ish) In

We've been married for a little over a week now. Jordan said this to me on our honeymoon, and I think it describes well how things have been so far: "Isn't it funny how not different this feels?"

Jordan and I have been together nearly four years. We've soared through the elated first year, suffered a break-up, navigated the choppy waters of relationship defining and getting back together. After all of that, it's true; while getting married is a huge step, in a lot of ways it only feels natural. Jordan is my best friend, my spiritual guide, my "inner logician" (a term he gave himself when he decided I tend to neglect logic when making basic decisions). And now, he's my husband. A new title to add to the list, but things haven't changed that much.

On the flip side, I have been thinking about the changes that have taken place, even if they're subtle ones. My mom and sisters live not five minutes away from our new apartment, but now I've dropped down to seeing them once or twice a week as opposed to every single day. It's kind of like when you graduate; the friends you're used to seeing almost every day are now, suddenly, incredibly far away. I'm always surprised at how much effort it requires to regularly visit friends and family even when you live in the same town as them. Everyone is always so busy; work, school, other obligations and responsibilities, unexpected circumstances. Even at less than five minutes away, you still have to make a firm effort to see people.

Even though it's been only a little over a week, I feel a little sad at the thought of pulling away fro my family. We'll always be family, of course, and I will always love and cherish the wonderful family God has blessed me with, but Jordan is my priority relationship now. Our family, the me-and-him family, is the one that needs the most attention and nourishment. It's going to be a somewhat strange transition, but like I said before, it feels very natural in a lot of ways, too.

Since the wedding planning is all over now, I'm not sure how much I'll be posting on here anymore. Feel free to check out my normal blog for basic life updates. I think I'll keep writing on Wedding Thoughts for a while, and I'll definitely keep it up and running, but I think it's time to start weening off of it.

That said, I feel like I should end with some moving reflection on the journey of getting married. Since I can't think of anything right now, I'll just say this: Jordan and I were talking about it last night, and while the wedding is certainly the culmination of months of stress and planning and appointments and shopping, it is only the beginning. Who knows what the future holds? Whatever it is, Jordan and I have impossibly promised each other that even though we have no idea what might happen, we will stand by each other. It is only thanks to God and his grace, and our marriage firmly tied together by Christ, that we may stay true to our word.

Lord have mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment